Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Throttle control sticking, Pontiac Grand Am 98'?

I asked this question before and tried some of the things suggested.





"My throttle control keeps sticking when I go long distances at high speeds.. Like on a highway or freeway. Its like cruise control stays on. I have taken the air filter off to grease it up in hopes its just sticky but its still doing it ( I put the air filter back together BTW haha) . I have to turn the car off in drive and get out and mess with the throttle control coil and than I can continue on my way. I can't put it in neutral while its stuck because it revs up real high, I dont want to put it in park cause I dont want to ruin my transmission. The RPMS are sticking at two when this happens and its dangerous too because I have to fight with the car to stop because its trying to accelerate while I am pressing the brake. Getting very frustrated at this. Any suggestions or ideas on what might be wrong? I just had the cam sensor thing (not sure exact words) replaced and the ignition switch replaced (for the 4th time in 4 years, it keeps burning out)."





We cleaned out the butterfly and stuff, its not a vacuum leak, not a frayed wire.





And its getting worse. It sticks anytime we go above 40 miles per hour. Yesterday, after going 60 mph, I go to stop at a light and the car didnt want to stop. It got down to a crawl and I was pressing the breaks the the floor and the car wouldnt stop all the way (the throttle was stuck at 2 rpms). Than it started smoking. I stopped and let it sit and drove slower home. Anything else I can check?? Any Ideas?? I am thinking this car is getting to be a death trap.. :(|||Take it to an automotive repair shop, a few dollars is not worth getting hurt or killed over.|||my oldsmobile does that once in awhile and i have to clean the throttle body out inside and clean the idle air control before it will drop back to idle.|||Sounds like it may be the throttle position sensor or idle control.|||try cleaning ur throttle body, could be causing ur problem get throttle body cleaner, not carb cleaner, sensor safe, soak it down, wipe excess, will run kinda bad first few seconds til it gets burned out, clean ur IAC too (idle air control) maybe egr valve, clean it too

No comments:

Post a Comment