Friday, December 9, 2011

Nervous driving, more so at night, I worry so much!?

I have had problems before with nerves, like panic attacks. Nothing major and I can control them a lot better now.





I have been driving for a few months, just to work and back each day mainly. A couple of miles. I passed my test 2 years ago, but didn't get a car at the time.





I live in a very rural area, lots of villages with cars parked all down one side of the road, lots of narrow roads etc. I hate driving anyway, but it's a necessary in today's society I think unfortunately!





When driving through villages, where you can fit 2 cars down the road, (plus the extra row of cars to one side) I'm terrified of hitting them when they are on my side. I'm not very good at judging the distance away from me of them, so I just basically stop until the other car has gone through.





I can't do this forever I know! My boyfriend can drive through them all no problem, as can everyone else, but I'm sure they have been driving longer etc.





I quite like to do a driver improvement something or other. Does anyone know of any thing in the UK, which exists. Not the pass plus, I'm looking for something more...I don't know the word. But like a crash course, where it doesn't matter if I scratch the car etc while I get more confidence.





Like, Britains worst learners, on Sky, they do alsorts to up their confidence on that.





Any advice? Thanks|||When my partner had an accident and couldn't drive for like 2yrs, he just went to a normal driving school. Just phone up a good driving instructer, ask whether they do 'driving refresher courses' and explain to them your circumstances. Its their profession to teach people to drive - it doesn't matter whether you've already passed your test or not, they just want your money at the end of the day!





Good luck chick :-)|||Sorry I don't know of any courses. You need confidence in your own ability to drive on narrow roads. Go for it girl, be positive. Smile, whoop and cheer everytime you succeed at driving safely, it will get easier in time. Don't stop driving or taking chances, it will only knock your confidence more.|||I don't know about anything in Britain, since I live in America. Just practice a lot, and you should get over it after a while.|||driver improvement should be able to look at up in the phone book or online and your city's name..heres a few sites that might help you|||Any good driving instructor will be happy to give you some lessons to help build your confidence. Phone several up and tell them your problem; book a 1 hour lesson with the one who most seems to understand and offer solutions. If you get on with him/her, take a few more until you have reached the point where you feel ok to go on your own.





I recently taught a 75 year old lady who had a full licence but hadn't driven for 15 years. After a few lessons I sent her out in her own car and I followed her in mine - she was absolutely fine knowing that, if there were any problems, there was someone around to help. Within half an hour she couldn't wait to drive alone again.





So it can work - give it a try :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment