Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Am I being selfish in my relationship?

My fiance and I have been together almost 2 yrs and just moved in together in December 08. We were in a long distance relationship because I was in school. While I was in school and a few months after we got together in 2007, I decided I needed to purchase a car. When I brought this idea up to my finance who was then only my boyfriend who has never owned a car, he didnt share the same ethusiasm as I did about finally being able to a car. So I went ahead and purchased the car with my money. (Keep in mind since then he has voluntarily given me money to put into my bank account to save for him). Everything about the car including the car insurance and registration is under my name. Since we moved in together he believes the car is now "ours" and that he has just as much right to it as I do. I have no problem sharing the car. He has driven it to work from Brooklyn to Manhattan every day. At first I was not fond of the idea of putting the extra mileage on the car when he could use the train especially with the gas prices these days but I got over it and just let him use it. However, there were times I would ask to use it and he would jokingly ask what I needed it for. According to him its a joke but to others, they say its a form of control. I am trying to make this short but its kindda hard.





Anyways my fiance got into an accident over the last weekend. Thank God he and those involved in the accident are all okay and no one was hurt. Just before the accident we had gotten into an argument over the fact that I had drove the car to my sisters place and parked it there while we went shopping. I only live a few train stops or a bus line away from my sisters place. I didnt see my leaving it parked there for him to pick up whenever he wanted because he has the key a problem. He on the other hand says it wasnt thoughtful of me and as a result we had an argument. So now that my car is probably going to be declared totalled by the insurance company. I am out of a car. I have already shared with my fiance that I do not feel the need for a car and dont want the headache that comes along arguing over the car and if he wants he could buy his own car. He says I am being selfish for thinking the car was mine only and not "ours" since we share the same home and etc.





I need some advice guys! Am I wrong for thinking it was my car? Do we automatically lose ownership to our things when we move in with our significant other??|||things become "ours" when you're married...

No comments:

Post a Comment