Friday, December 9, 2011

Dog on long leash is like being off leash to the law, what can I do?

so there's suddenly a new leash law in my town, leashes longer than 10 feet supposedly count as the dog being off leash. this does not make sense to me, a leash no matter how long is a leash.





I train in a big field at park close to me, use a long leash to practice obedience/playing something. the length I have is...35-40 ft maybe...





I use a long leash to practice stay and distance commands, usually alone so I have nobody to hold her. a few days ago I'm practicing basic commands with her and we see this cop car drive into the park. I reel her in so she's not hit by the car but it stops infront of us. a officer gets out and coldly explains there was a complaint about a off leash dog? the park's leash law changed so long leashes now count as a dog that's not controlled. dog's must be on leash, but this is ridiculous because as we're talking people walk past us with their off leash dogs and nothing happens. here my dog is on a leash, not bothering anyone and WE get complaints. so it goes that you pay a fine if the leash is too long, more than 2 attempts your dog is taken from you, cannot have the dog back for 30 days. WTF? how can this make sense? it's essential for her to get exercise and training, we have nowhere else to go. :(|||I'm sorry, you might just be out of luck. You may be responsible with your dog on a longer leash but a lot of people aren't. 2 years ago my dog and I were charged by a dog on a 20ft flex leash. My dog Was dog aggressive, so he walked in a heel, on a 6ft leash attached to a halti and another leash attached to his collar (incase he slipped the halti). The lady was back around the corner when her dog saw us and charged aggressively. I ended up falling from my dog trying to protect himself (it wa winter time and we were walking over some ice) and I had to kick the other dog in the face to get him away. my dog got bit, but because of the halti, my dig wasn't able to bite him back.





Most people are not in control of their dog if they are that far away. Almost all counties have off leash dog parks unless you live in the country. I find it hard to believe that you can't find a better one to go to. If you want, message me what town you live in and I will help you look for a better place to go.





Blame the irresponsible pet owners that made this change nessissary. Sorry :(|||What can you do? Obey the law, that's what you do.





Find another park, or consider an indoor alternative.





Or better yet, just keep complaining about how unfair it is to you, and forget everyone else. Keep complaining until someone listens, and changes the rules just to keep you happy.|||And your absolutly correct, i use long leashes to train my dog as well and to get his exercise. As long as your sure your not bother anyone else with your dog, go to your local cop or city building and ask them what to do.





This does seem really weird though!


Good luck! =)|||What can you do? You have NO choice but to obey the new laws in your city.|||In NYC we also have a leash law that requires dog to be on a leash 6ft and no longer. What this is in response to are the idiots who walks their out of control dogs on flexi leashes.





I can not count how many times I personally, have encountered some dogs coming around the corner with the moron owner 15 feet behind them.





Now, I think that flexi's and long lines have a purpose, I myself have put a young dog on a long line in the park, though technically, I know by doing this, I can get ticketed.





If it was me, I would have pointed out the person with the off-leash dog to the cop.





edit: I have never used a long line longer than 15 feet. I have never used a 35-40 foot leash in my local park, I could see how a leash that long can be problematic and no matter how hard you try, with a leash that long, you simply can't real in a dog that quickly.|||As with most things, the few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us. However, it sounds as if the cop who approached you was not "cold", but actually very reasonable...you didn't say anything about having to pay a fine, so did he let you off with just a warning? Doesn't sound cold to me at all.....and in fact, for all you know, the cop disagrees with the law, but he is bound to enforce it, especially when complaints are made.





"the leash may be long but we're always far away from people, always on the edge of the park you have to walk 50 feet to get to us"





Fifty feet isn't very far at all. It's not your private park. Again, it sounds as if you weren't causing problems, but we all know of jerks who let their dogs who let their dogs run up to people and bother them.





And sorry, I don't buy your argument that you have nowhere else to train. Surely there is a neighbor within a couple of blocks of you who has at least a 50 foot yard, and you could get their permission to train in their yard (maybe offer to mow the lawn or something in return). And if your town truly has only 1 park, then it must be a very tiny town...buy a bike, and bike outside of city limits to train your dog.|||"we see this cop car drive into the park. I reel her in so she's not hit by the car but it stops infront of us." If she was out far enough that she could have been hit then she was NOT under your control and I really can understand why the cop stopped you.





Other people doing wrong doesn't justify you doing wrong and complaining about the cop not stopping in the middle of their lecture of YOU to go bust someone else just makes you look like a child.|||Oh absolutely weird. Have you done any postings (facebook) or perhaps talking to people that go into pet stores or to obedience school trainers? When I worked as an assistant at a dog training school in our city, we used long lines all the time to proof the dog's lessons. I think you may have to do some signature collections and get that law changed. That is just wrong.|||that is messed up ... even the extend-a-leashes are longer than 10 feet !!! and everyone who trains recall with distractions uses a long leash ... if it were me i would write to the city ... i would write to a city council person ... and i would contact any and all dog groups to see if you can gain support to fight this ridiculous law ... you might even start a petition online ... because those new "laws" are pretty offensive ... i mean taking someones dog away cuz they bought a perfectly LEGAL leash is not right ...|||A dog that's on a 10'+ lead is NOT under your control, which is the issue. Practice recall and obedience on your own property. If you get cited twice for breaking the leash law that you're now aware of, whose fault would it be if your dog is taken away? I'm sure there are other municipalities with no, or less strict leash laws, so you might consider moving to one of them

No comments:

Post a Comment