Tuesday, December 6, 2011

This is safe to do right?

Ok well I'm 15(m) My dad works alot of over time and his back hurts. I have 2 dogs a chocolate lab Hershey nd a German shorthaired pointer marley. He had so muck energy is unbelievable. He always want to go for walks. He will run away if we let him in a park even with a shock collar. So I've done this once, I stand on my longboard and he pulls me in the street. I'm a good rider I no how to stop and have very good control of it. It's safe for him tho right? I keep my distance from him too. I use a 6ft leash and looking for a longer one. Any opinions?|||If he bolts off after a squirrel or something, you will go flying and will hit the pavement. You won't be able to control because you won't be expecting this.





NOT safe.|||Safe if you know what you're doing. I see people doing it quite often.





https://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/|||Do you attach the leash to his collar or a harness? You should only use a harness because a collar would put too much strain on his neck. A harness made for pulling (like the kind sled dogs wear) would be best.





Other than that, as long as he enjoys it and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or too tired, I'd say it's fine. It's probably in his best interest to talk to the vet about it first though.





EDIT: I'd be a bit worried about yourself, however. If he goes after a squirrel there's no way you'll be able to control him.|||If you're a solid longboarder, it should be fine. Yeah your dogs are going to sprint off different ways but if you have it under control and maybe wear a helmet it should be fine. Dogs are used to being slaves and dragging sleds so pulling some well lubed bearings should be a lot easier than dragging metal along snow.|||You just got to be careful you don't make a wrong turn, and run over your dog. I get nervous when I see people doing that with bikes because I have seen little and big dogs get run over by bikes cause their leash is to short, and their owners have no Control. Which dog is the one pulling you...the lab or the GSP?|||No it's not safe. For one you're putting too much strain on your dog's neck, and two if your dog decides to bolt in another direction, you'll fall over. Your dog could also stop to smell something and you could go flying. It's dangerous for both yourself and the dog so I would find another way to exercise him. Playing games outside like fetch or chase or signing up for an agility class are both great things to do that will exercise your dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment