Friday, December 2, 2011

Did we overreact in this situation?

I'm in the park tonite and an off-leash male standard poodle comes charging toward my dog. I'd seen the dog from a distance and I've heard recently from a couple people in the park that the dog is aggressive and there've been several incidents. Not sure if it's neutered or not - didn't get a chance to tell. We're leaving park, my dog's on leash and tired (it's very hot), and dog sprints toward my dog (female golden) jumps on her and tries to bite her. No sniff, no play bow. I can't tell if it's a play bite or real bite, and I've learned the hard way one has very little time to figure that out.





Anyway, I stand tall and try and block the dog off while yelling loudly, but it's still aggressively going after my dog. Again, I'm not sure if it's trying to play, but I felt I didn't have time to figure it out so I kicked through to break the dog off. I didn't really connect, but the dog did break away and I told the owner to get control of their dog. They reply it's just trying to play.





I've been around a 1000 dogs and I believe I have a solid idea of which ones I can trust to play and which ones are being dominant aggressive. Who thinks I overreacted, and if so what would you do? Who thinks we did the right thing.|||Sounds like you did the right thing. I can tell you that that dog was certainly not playing. From what you described, the dog's body language had nothing to do with play. A dog that is going to play often play bows, they will almost always sniff each other when first meeting.





That dog seems to be aggressive towards other dogs, I would keep mine away from it.|||I think people should control their dogs. This other owner is almost saying it's ok for his dog to ambush another dog - when like you say, it's impossible to tell if it's play or aggression.





In the people world, that's assault and battery. Your dog looks to you as its pack leader - and part of that is protection while under your control. Even people in dog parks should have manners, as well as dogs off leash should have manners. But the truth is, they don't always.|||You didn't over react, the dog was OBVIOUSLY trying to hurt your dog. If he didn't try to smell his butt and just started to attack him, then he wasn't planning on saying "hi" to your dog. Tell the owner he NEEDS to control his dog, or you will get animal control to do it for him.|||as long as you did not hurt the dog you did the right thing,. You can normally tell when a dog is acting aggresive or wanting to play. I would have done the same thing or maybe even a little bit more by telling off the owner of the other dog. glad all worked out.|||You definitely did the right thing. You had to stop that dog somehow, it was attacking your dog. And its not your fault, your dog was on a leash and that dog just ran up to it. Not an overreaction haha don't worry. I would have done the same thing.|||if a dog charge a dog without sniffign his *** or other thing its a rage, you did the right thing, i would have played soccer with this dog if i whas you... and you know that i'd be a player, and the dog the balloon|||This is why I hate dog parks, many of the owners are totally clueless.


No you did not overreact, I would have kicked the s@@t out of it and then done the same to the people.|||I think you did the best that you knew how so kudos for that. I will say thought that yelling at a dog for doing something makes it worse. Yelling won't make it stop, usually it will just charge them up more.|||Sounds to me like a young dog with no socialization and bad manners. I don't think the dog was trying to *attack*.





As far as removing the dog from yours, yes, you did the right thing.|||Of course! If I were you that is what I would have done. Overreacting would have been calling the police. :P That owner needs to get control over that dog!|||Sounds like that dog was just plain aggressive, no manners whatsoever. You were right if you described the situation right.|||Sounds like you did the right thing. You've seen enough play behavior to have been concerned by the poodle's mannerisms.|||Absolutely you did the right thing. And I would have done the same.





Doesn't sound like it was just playing.|||You were trying to protect your dog,Know one really knows how they would react till in the position.Me personally I won't take my dogs to a dog park due to the fear of off leash risks that may or may not happen.My dogs are perfectly happy walking in our neighborhood but that is my resources that is convenient for my dogs and myself,It is very interesting what is the right way to handle the attacking dog? Do you try to grab it's collar,or the scruff of the neck at the risk of being bit ,or punch or kick at it or wrestle it to the ground?No one really knows with all of your adrenaline going hey-wire!Unless your that kind of person who is ready for anything and constantly on guard(lol)!This sounds like enter at your dogs risk unfortunately! I think if your going to take your dog to a place like this you are just going to have to be on guard and have to figure out who are in control of their dogs and who is not! Or just find another place to walk your dog! ether way good job at protecting your dog!!|||Are there any rules in the dog park? In my dog park, any dog that cannot be controlled by it's owner is banned from the park. You mention that there have been several incidents with the same dog.





I think you need to contact Animal control, or whoever is responsible for maintaining the park and inform them of the situation. That dog sounds as if it hasn't been socialized properly, and is an accident waiting to happen.





I had a similar incident happen to me at our dog park. My 12 year old desexed sheltie, Finn, was attacked by a huge malamute that the owner assured me was friendly! He grabbed Finn "playfully" in it's jaws, and began to "play".





l had to beat it across the head to let him go, while the owner said, "He just wants to play"... Yeah, right. Finn was o.k. a little shaken, and covered with slobber.





Some people should be tested before they are allowed to own big dogs, in my opinion.





@ Fresh prince:


Thank you for the information. Yes, I agree the malamute was no threat to me, but the fact that his owner couldn't control him AT ALL, indicates to one he had no place in a dog park! if you have a large animal, you need to be in complete control.|||You did not overreacted at all! I have 4 dogs and are oldest Sammy and I were walking done the street and this Golden Retriever ran up to us FAST she had no owner with her, just a collar, so I picked up Sammy and held him up high but the dog was very sweet so we took her and Sammy home and found her owner .We later found out she likes to run away from home. So you did not over react dogs are like are children and we don't want to find out if the other dog is aggressive or not. Luckily my encounter with a lose dog was a nice one.|||I feel that it is my job to protect my leashed dog. Being on a leash he cannot adequately defend himself plus I could get hurt if I get stuck in the middle. You did the right thing by taking a kick at the dog. I find that spraying bear spray in the dog's face usually gets him to back off quickly. It is also a safer way to keep both of us safe. If the dog's owner gives you a bunch of lip about it, spray him too %26lt;grin%26gt;. When ever the owner of a free ranging dog tells me his dog is friendly and trying to play, I tell him that mine isn't. Get your dog NOW before he gets bit. Of course I'm lying but it is my duty to protect my leashed dog...|||you did the right thing. Your dog was on a leash and couldnt protect itself, and as you said you didnt have time to figure out what this dog was going to do.


My dog is very playful and sometimes does run over to other dogs but it is obvioud he is playing but i always shout 'he is fine dont worry' just to let the people know theyt dont need to panick.


The owner of the poodle obviously didnt trust his dog because when he saw you panicking he could of just told you he wouldnt do any harm before he got to your dog.


At the end of the day you protected yourself and your dog and you didnt cause the poodle any harm :)


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment