Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hit and Run? What Do I Do?

I was driving home from school, I see a lady who doesn't move her 1999 Lexus GS400 and I wait for 7-9 seconds and someone behind me sound his horn, I was about to do that but he did it first. I overtake her going under 10 mph, I left enough distance and my back wheel went into the grass. Then all of a sudden she made a left turn and she hit into me. I didn't really feel the accident, to me it felt like I drove over a small hole on the road. I really didn't know if that was an accident or not so I decide to drive home and check my car out later for any damages. During then, I knew that there was no way that I could've hit her Lexus. So after 6 seconds later she chased me and I didn't realize why she was chasing me until I finally realize that their might've been an accident. So after that I enter another neighborhood to make a U-turn to come back home, but this lady was traveling way to close to me, almost bumper to bumper distance, we came near a sharp turn and my car started fishtailing. Then I was really scared and almost lost control and hit an oncoming car, but luckily I didn't and I finally pulled over, I then realized that I couldn't get home. Finally she called the cops as well as the firetruck and the ambulance, the lady did have some blood pressure issue, so did I (mine went up to 156/124). The cop only asked me two questions, If I was hurt or not and he asked me what happened. The problem was I wasn't able to explain because I was too shaky %26amp; scared at that moment. The cops talked to the lady for more than 12 minutes and for me only a minute and after that he gave me a misdemeanor charge for hit and run. After the accident, I did find out that she had to go to the emergency room because of her high blood pressure.








But after that incident 2 friends of mine who saw the accident said that I was right to overtake her because she looked as if she was trying to park her car near a house. Also her brake lights were not on. They also saw that the car was very close to the curb. They said that I maintained enough distance while overtaking her and she REALLY did make a left turn, she was also looking to the left when I overtook her. The problem is that she told the cops and my insurance company that I hit her and I ran away, I am schedule at court sometime in June and I am working on hiring an attorney. My insurance rates did go up because of this and nothing happened to her. My insurance did pay for her medical expenses.








My main questions are:





1. Who would you say that is at fault?


2. If you were the judge what would you do?


3. Can you please suggest me something, some advice for this case or to avoid the consequences?


4. What is the chance of this case being dismissed? ****** (Please tell me this)





Can Someone tell me what I should do now?????





Sorry this is very long but I really need your help, any opinions are welcome. I am a good 18 year old student who has never gotten into trouble with the law except for this one. Thanks!!!|||I. It's hard to say but passing on the left and your wheel going into grass didn't make sense to me.


2. If I was the judge I would listen to all sides before making a determination. Her 'Lexus' has nothing to do with it. Right or wrong has everything to do with it.


3. If it were me and I was sure I was in the right and had 2 witnesses I would ask for a trial. You have that right. You could also, then, deal with the prosecuting attorney or tell him no deal


4. If your state requires the other party to be present and she doesn't show it will be dismissed. Many times they aren't notified. If your state requires that the police officer on the scene is the 'witness' then you will need to make the judge understand that you were 100 percent certain that she hit you (unless you weren't in a lane, then no matter what it is your fault and deal) and you didn't feel a need to call the police on her so you were not fleeing the scene of an accident.


Good luck and remember, they've heard it all so BE HONEST AND POLITE|||You are at fault,





she's driving a Lexus so the cops will believe her over you any day.|||There is no need to avoid the situation.All you have to do is be responsible,confess to the conflict,and apologize. I know I sound stupid but Try and take my advice.I'm sure you'll feel much better after.I hope I helped!!

No comments:

Post a Comment